The town of Marsland was once a thriving frontier town, but today is considered a “ghost town” of the Old West. One of the earliest buildings, the Post Office, was established in 1886 and the first school opened in 1890. The community was predominantly agricultural; however an ice-harvesting business thrived in the winter months supplying blocks of ice from the Niobrara River for the refrigerated boxcars on the railroad.
Eventually, the drought and economic struggles of the Great Depression forced most of the townspeople to disband and in 1969 passenger train service ended altogether. Today, the post office still services the remaining residents.
A few of the original homes and buildings still stand, ghosts on the prairie and monuments to the families who once tamed this part of the wild west.